As this semester comes to a wrap and after reviewing my course goals
that I had at the beginning of the semester, I realized I have made progress on
them, but still have areas of improvement. I definitely developed a closer
relationship with my CT and colleagues! I loved the wonderful team
collaboration Le Roy brought between the 3rd grade teachers and my
other classmates in the other 3rd grade classrooms. Everyone was so
helpful, and I also think that my CT was more welcoming, helpful, and relatable
than my CT from last semester. She is a great role model for first years of
teaching and is definitely someone I want to keep in touch with! This is her
second year teaching after she graduated from ISU, and she demonstrates good
practices we have learned at ISU. Having her as my CT also helped me in making
progress on my other goals such as, classroom management. She modeled effective
classroom management strategies, which helped with the structure and behavior
of the students. This also helped me in seeing how her strategies work, and how
I can implement them. She has given me great suggestions, and I would take her
suggestions for improvement. I would go over the morning math work every
morning with the students, and my CT would always take notes to provide me with
feedback on my teaching and suggestions for improvement. She did the same when
I implemented my lessons. I learned a lot about different strategies such as,
using charts on the wall for writing workshop and read to self (during guided
reading), which tells what the students should be doing and what the teacher
should be doing. My CT explained how she didn’t do guiding reading in the first
week or two, until the students were familiar with what they should be doing.
She used a timer and timed their “stamina” for how long they can last without
misbehaving or talking out loud. They built it up to an hour until my CT felt
they could begin guided reading groups. This is something I would like to implement
for future teaching to help with classroom management. Some other ways I
specifically improved was addressing issues as they arose in an appropriate
manner, giving guidelines and rules in my lessons, giving expectations, and
building a relationship with all the students. I think building relationships
is really important and gaining the students’ trust. My CT always reinforces
the students to make good choices, and she would say, “Show me 3,” which means
being respectful, responsible, and safe (the school wide PBIS system). Her
classroom management strategies also help in not having to use the clip system as
much because students learn how to behave themselves. This is something we
repeatedly talk about in class, and I think will definitely help me when I am
student teaching.
I also made progress on learning
more about how to accommodate for students with special needs. Specifically, the
student in the 3rd grade classroom with special needs was Abe. He
has Fragile X syndrome. I never knew exactly what this was. Fragile X syndrome
is a genetic dysfunction of the X chromosome, especially among boys, and
related to autism. It causes intellectual disability as well as differences in
physical and behavioral characteristics such as, elongated face, protruding ears,
stereotypical movements (hand-flapping), and social anxiety. Abe has these
characteristics as well as being non-verbal. To greet him, you just lay your
hand out in front of him and he touches it. He has a teacher aide all day and
is included in the classroom. He functions at a very routine-based level. For
accommodations, he uses visual charts, schedules, manipulatives, communication
devices, computer games/videos, etc. My CT also uses a microphone in the
classroom so Abe can hear better, and also so all the students can hear better
because Abe can make noises with his mouth. With my observations and
discussions with my CT and the teacher aide, I gained a lot more insight on Abe
and his disability. I was also fortunate to gain more insight by being able to
sit in on a team meeting with Abe’s parents, my CT, teacher aide, special
education teacher, occupational therapist, speech pathologist, and
paraprofessional. This was a great
learning experience and was wonderful to see how well Abe was progressing this
school year (struggling since pre-school). I saw how well everyone collaborated
together in providing their information and opinions, and developing outcome
goals and objectives for Abe. One of the objectives was for Abe to recognize the faces
and names of his peers in the classroom. This would help with his social and
adaptive skills. This experience also related to what I have been learning in SED
374, and it was great to see such good practices and models being implemented. This experience will definitely be helpful in the future as I may come across students with the same or similar disability.
One thing I still struggled a
little with was my teacher voice/confidence level, but I think I made some
improvements. I would practice speaking at home as I would to the kids, and this
helped. I tried being more enthusiastic and having a good tone of voice, which
sometimes I think I did better than others. I’m learning that teacher voice and
confidence level go hand in hand. I think as I continue growing more
comfortable in what I am teaching, I will be more confident and therefore have an improved teacher voice (which includes really knowing the students, content, what to say, etc.). This is something my CT also wanted me to work on, and I will
continue to improve on this, especially as I move forward to student teaching.
This helps me to know how critical this aspect is in student learning and
engagement, and also how it will help me to become a better teacher.
I’m also continuing on improving my
time management skills. I progressed as I was making schedules for myself, and
planning out what days and time of the day I have to get certain things done.
In my clinical lessons, I did well with my time management in my science
lesson. I planned out the timing for each part of the lesson, including giving
the students time frames for moving to different stations. In the
implementation of the lesson, I made sure to watch the clock and keep the
lesson moving with a good flow. On the other hand, I didn’t do so well on time
management with my literacy lesson. I had planned time frames for parts of the
lesson, but it fell through in my implementation. I got caught up in the
moment, and also mixed up my timing by thinking my lesson ended at 9:20 instead
of 9:10. I definitely need to keep this as one of my goals for the future to
continue improving on. This plays a huge part, not only in teaching and
learning, but also in everyday life!
Overall, I really enjoyed my
experience at Le Roy with my CT, colleagues, and especially the 3rd
grade students! I learned a lot more that will help me as I move forward to
student teaching and becoming a teacher! Even still, I am going to continue working on these goals I made for myself to keep improving. I’m so thankful to have such a great
experience at Le Roy, and I’m glad I got this chance. I’m going to miss the
students, and will be keeping the cute drawings and notes they would give to
me. It will be bittersweet this last week of clinical, but I’m excited to
finally implement my social studies lesson!


Laura,
ReplyDeleteIt is so great to hear all the great experiences and progress you made in your goals throughout the semester! I’m so glad that you have gained so much from your CT in this semester and gained closer relationships with your colleagues. I too felt that this semester was such a great experience for me because my CT did exactly what yours did, she gave me suggestions on my lessons and teaching strategies for helping me become a more skillful teacher, she modeled effective teaching strategies and how to be a model to the students. My CT was also very encouraging in allowing me to attend professional development meetings and stay to help her tutor so that I could experience these types of school events and help me build professional moral. By attending these professional development meetings, I got to work with my colleagues in the building, become more aware of what was going on throughout the school and how the administration and staff worked together to collaborate and plan for student’s education and implementing new strategies in the classroom like Guided Reading and Math Workshops. I also think it is so great that you got to learn more about and see how to accommodate for students with special needs. I have not had a lot of experience in clinical placements with these students, and I think it is really beneficial that you are gaining more insight on these disabilities or needs and how to provide support for these students.
I think that we all struggle with our teacher voice, especially when we present our lessons, sometimes because we are nervous but also because we are not completely comfortable teaching yet, so I think that as you get more experience and practice, over time your teacher’s voice will become stronger and more confident. I too feel that I used to struggle with that a lot, but I feel that this semester being able to do three lessons for our clinical placement that I got a lot of practice using my teacher voice. Do you have some plans for the future to try and strengthen this? Maybe taking a speech class or taking initiative in your student teaching to try and teach as many lessons as the lead teacher to practice being confident in your teacher’s voice. I think that time management also builds with experience. I know that I have become much stronger in my time management in making myself have a lot of organization and preparation for teaching. I think the one thing that helped me really learn how to control time management when teaching is to always have a timer by me so to tell me when to transition. Maybe you can utilize this when teaching your next lesson, or even try other ideas of time management, like outlining you time and putting it on the board for you to look at when teaching.
Laura,
ReplyDeleteWow, lady, what gains you have made! I appreciated all of the specifics you included here, and I can't wait to chat through this with you tomorrow!
:)Kira
I am glad to hear you had just as positive of an experience at LeRoy as I did! I like that you addressed areas you can still improve on in your post. I feel like, as teachers, we are always still learning and adapting even if we have been teaching for thirty years. We are always learning more about our students and ourselves, and sometimes, this means changing our ways or discovering we need to make improvements. This made me think of areas that I can still improve on. Automatically, I think of behavior management. My class at LeRoy was very well behaved and did not often have to be disciplined. To me, this says that my CT put in place a very successful system at the beginning of the year and throughout so that her students knew how to act and how not to act. With that said, I was not able to see any sort of intervention from my CT because of students’ mistaken behavior. I’m glad the class was so well-behaved, but at the same time, I didn’t get to learn much regarding behavior management. It sounds like you have had more experience with this since you said “she modeled effective classroom management strategies, which helped with the structure and behavior of the students. This also helped me in seeing how her strategies work and how I can implement them”. After reading this, I am curious to know what types of classroom management strategies your CT used?
ReplyDeleteWhat a great experience you had to be able to work with Abe! It sounds like you got to know a lot about him and how to accommodate him. This makes me wonder if you would use the same types of accommodations your CT and Abe’s aide used for him in your own classroom? Or are there things you would want to change based on what you have observed with Abe?
It seems like you have come a long way this semester, and I am impressed with your post and what you have learned. I hope you keep up the good work, and I wish you luck for your future!