Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Social Studies Focus


I have not seen much Social Studies in my 3rd grade class at Fairview.  Social Studies and Science are rotated in the weekly schedule. It takes place at the end of the day after P.E. I have seen Social Studies twice so far. The content was mostly on communities incorporating culture, citizens, and government. My CT tells the students to get out their Social Studies books and bring it with them to the book nook. All the students sit on the floor and have their books open, while My CT reads to them out of the book and asks questions as going along. Students engage in discussion and asking and answering questions. My CT also pulled out the globe to discuss what community they live in. One student discussed and pointed out on the globe that she came from Togo, a country in West Africa and how the community/climate/culture is different there. Then they have a worksheet to do after at their desks. Another time I saw them working on content of geography and maps.  Each student had a page to read and right down facts they found, then they discussed as a class.  Then my CT introduced a Social Studies project called, “Where I live.” Students have 6 different places to cut out and color of where they live. Then they write a sentence of the location they live in: planet Earth, the continent of North America, the country of United States of America, the state of Illinois, McLean County, and the town of Normal. My CT put the directions on the board and examples of maps to show the different colors used to separate the countries and states.

I think that more Social Studies can be integrated into the curriculum. I also think that it should not always just be taught straight out of the textbook and using worksheets. I do think that it does help to spark discussions. The students are more engaged when discussing topics than just reading out of the book. But I think more learning can be done with hands-on activities, than discussions and worksheets. I do like that my CT brings out the globe for the students to interact with. I also like the “Where I live” project so that students can break down all the locations that they live in from largest to smallest.

This connects to what I’ve learned about social learning, and how helpful it is for students to engage in discussion. It also connects to what I’ve learned about the Social Studies content and how it relates to “part of my country and world.” This helps me to know that students understand parts of their world and where they live. I do think it is important though to do more hands-on activities, than worksheets. Some students at lower levels can have a hard time finding answers to the worksheets out of the textbook. I think working in small groups and working on social studies content in a more interactive way would be more helpful.

2 comments:

  1. Laura,

    Although you're not seeing social studies every week, I am so glad to read that you are seeing it some weeks that you are there. When you write that they alternate weeks between this and science, does that mean that they cover that content every day for that week or just on Wednesdays? I would be very sad to read that they had social studies only on Wednesdays every other week!!!! There is so much richness to third grade social studies content that only one time a week is not enough!

    I appreciate your reflections about the content of the social studies instruction you've seen, and I agree that more hands-on learning of this content would be much more meaningful for your students. Thinking about the lessons you've seen, how would you have used the textbooks as springboards for that content? Specifically, what would you have done differently?

    :)Kira

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like how your CT took out a globe and pointed to where the children lived so they can really see where they come from. I also liked how one girl got to point out where she is from. I doubt the other students would know where Togo is; I know I don't. At least your CT asks questions and engages in discussion when she reads from the textbook.

    I also agree that social studies will help students figure out where they are from and where their community is. Location is very important for knowing what type of community one lives in. I definitely think students should have more hands on activities. I also don't think students should do worksheets. Work sheets don't make children think as much.

    ReplyDelete